I am super excited to introduce you to an iPad app called Looom.
It’s a super fun new way of animating!
If you've ever resisted animation because of its complexity or the sheer amount of time it takes, then this app and this class is for you! Animating in Looom is fun, quick, and a super playful way to create looping hand-drawn animations.
Looom has an unconventional interface and way of animating—but once you get used to it, it's amazing. I'll show you how it works in a step-by-step process while we create some animations together. We'll start with a few simple animations so that you can learn how Looom works, and progress onto more whimsical and playful ones where you can stretch your newly learned skills.
While learning all about Looom, you'll level-up your animation skills super-fast! We'll also go over some animation theory that will help you convey movement, add character, and capture attention.
WHAT THE CLASS COVERS
- The basics, from downloading Looom to creating your first simple animation.
- Drawing, erasing, and changing layer settings.
- How best to use Looom's interface for animation.
- Rapidly animating multiple layers.
- Animation theory (a small amount)
- 3 start-to-finish animation examples of my own, where I use everything I show you in the class.
Along the way you'll pick up tons of tips and tricks, and by the end of the class you'll be having so much fun creating looping animations.
WHO IS THIS CLASS FOR?
- Animators looking for a quick and playful way to animate.
- Illustrators looking for an easy way to get into animation.
- Anyone who feels like relaxing and having fun—let you inner kid come alive!
WHAT YOU NEED
- An iPad with iOS 9 or later (most iPads will work)
- 2 hands (seriously)
- An Apple Pencil is a nice-to-have but not necessary
Hey I'm Rich, the founder of TapTapKaboom. I'm a compulsive maker, creativity geek and suffer from an overactive imagination. Although I call myself a “Product Designer” I'm more of a jack-of-all-trades / generalist / unicorn. I'd actually go so far as to call myself a world-class unicorn who creates compulsively—I design, animate, doodle, and code.
I studied multimedia design, and then graphic design, and taught myself how to code. I've freelanced, worked for agencies and startups, and now run my own studio with my wife in Amsterdam.
Also! I can touch my nose with my tongue!